The movement to buy and eat organically grown unprocessed food is gaining popularity. Food scientists are concerned about the quality of the food that end up in our kitchen from the farms.
As a result of industrialization we are dealing with more environmental pollutants and toxins. Agricultural soil and crops have been contaminated with chemicals and heavy metals. This has exposed our bodies to increasing levels of free radicals. It is the overworked immune system which has to neutralize these damaging free radicals.
Other debilitating factors which compromise optimum nutrition for our bodies, is the high use of processed foods with artificial ingredients. Also as we age, the fingerlike protrusion in the small intestines called villi, become less efficient at absorbing nutrients. If you have been eating well and the meals are well balanced but you often feel tired and listless it could be that there are issues with: the quality of the food or, there is poor absorption of the nutrients. Detoxification (detox) of the gastro-intestinal tract is the first step in restoring health and embarking on a healthful life-style.
Detoxing your Body
Detoxification or detox is the natural physiological or medical removal of toxic substances from the body. It is important to detox in a safe way while ensuring the body gets the essential daily nutrients for health.
There are many ways in which the body detoxifies naturally. The body removes toxins via the blood and it is in the liver that the chemical structure of the toxin is altered so that it can be excreted by the kidneys. Other organs that play a role in removing toxins from the body are the intestines, lungs lymph and skin.
Some common toxins and impurities are found in:
• air (particulates and volatile organic compounds)
Then there are the voluntary use of substances that are toxic to the body
• Pharmaceutical preparation
• Abuse of recreational drugs:
Tips to Detox
1. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables to get the fiber needed
2. Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily
3. Drink green teas and dandelion
4. Include brown rice in the meals
5. A hot showers for 5 minutes alternating with a cold shower for 30 seconds
7. Foot baths
8. Energetic exercises
Adopt healthful eating
• A healthy diet should contain foods from the following food group (carbohydrates, proteins, fats).
• 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables for vitamins, minerals and fiber.
• Aim to have a very colorful plate of red, green, yellow, orange and purple foods e.g. bell peppers eggplant, tomatoes, squash, cabbage, lettuce, carrots.
• Vegans will need to have a variety of legumes, green leafy vegetables, tubers, seeds, nuts and liquid amino acids.
• Aim to increase daily water intake to 8-10 glasses
Healthful eating, physical activity and removing toxins from the body are the combination for optimal health. In a few weeks the improvement in energy, health and overall well-being will be worthwhile.