The advice is eating healthy, keeping physically fit and flexible, keeping your doctor’s appointment to follow-up on chronic diseases, breaking the smoking and drinking habit. Mastering the art of communication and spending some quality time with your partner also, will go a long way to keeping the relationship and improving sexual health. In general women who are healthy and physically fit enjoy a better sex life.
Common health issues that affect sexual health include:
• Poor nutrition and overall health
• Drug abuse
• Heart problems
• Recovering from major surgery
• Arthritis (Painful joints and muscles)
• Loss of libido
• Emotional disorders and Mental illness
• Sexually transmitted infections
• Pelvic problems including fibroids and cysts
• Issues related to childbirth
Emotional barriers to healthy sexual relations include:
1. A breakdown in communication
2. Disrespect, abuse
4. Emotional Insecurity
5. Inability to forgive
6. Jealousy, emotional infidelity
7. Unrealistic expectations
8. Undue stress and worry over financial, job-related and personal situation
9. Long distance relationships
10. Substance abuse
Dealing with Medical Issues
For gynecology complaints the doctor will take a history of the symptoms, do a physical examination which involves internally palpating the reproductive organs and passing a speculum to visually assess the organs. A pap smear is a routine part on the doctor’s visit. Diagnostic blood tests and imaging will also be requested to confirm diagnosis. In some situations surgery (general, minor, laparoscopic/keyhole) is recommended to correct the problem.
Other conditions such as heart problems, muscular and joint issues can be successfully resolved. Emotional and relational difficulties can often be addressed with “talk therapy”. The sex therapist can offer specific suggestions and techniques to overcome barriers to a healthy more happy sex life.
Great food and wine are aphrodisiac from time in memorial. All types of fruits especially the berries can be enjoyed as whole fruits or with yogurt. Vegetables steamed, grilled and raw provide the vitamins to fight disease.
Fighting the bulge is one campaign why you should exercise. Even more important than the physical appearance, is keeping the heart healthy and strong.
Staying in touch with your inner self
Here are tried and proven ways to ‘spice up’ your intimate relationship and by extension your sex life:
1. Communicate with your partner. Learn your partner’s emotional cues and be sure to communicate in verbal and non-verbal ways.
2. Be open and receptive to doing new activities. Try something new together.
3. Share your expectations. Remove the guess work and be clear about your boundaries and conversely encourage your partner to share as well.
4. Spend quality time together to build your bond. There is no substitute for being together.
5. Keep intimacy alive. Be sensitive to your partner’s needs. Sexual intercourse, holding hands, hugging and kissing are important ingredients for keeping intimacy alive.
6. Be flexible and willing to fulfill your partner’s needs, choices and wishes.
7. Give support and stay involved with each other.
8. Work through disagreement without disrespecting each other.
9. Inject the element of surprise to keep your mate intrigued and interested.
10. Do not neglect to take care of yourself physically and emotionally.
Maintaining a happy satisfying relationship requires ongoing effort and nurturing. Improving sexual health it is also about honest and direct communication, relating and working well together, respectfully working through conflicts, laughing, having a good sense of humor, playing together and maintaining a good sense of adventure.