1. It is not a surprising fact that parents need help in order to understand what healthy eating means. Following some ground rules, you can create for your children an encouraging environment so that they develop properly and maintain a normal weight.
2. From the types of food you give to your children, they will choose what to eat and whether they will finish eating it or not. For the types of food offered to them, let them choose what to eat. Thus, they will feel they have a sense of freedom without knowing that you picked and bought only what is healthy for them.
3. The parents have the control. You decide what kind of food you should buy and when to serve it. Even if the children keep asking for less healthy food, this problem should be the parents’ care. At home, the children will eat what it is in the fridge.
4. Let the children stop eating when they feel like that their stomach is full.
5. Children do what you do. Try to be a good model for them so that means that you should also eat healthy food. When you try to teach them good eating habits, use yourself as an example.
6. Keep the count of the calories drank. Soda and other sweetened drinks provide more calories than desired. The water and the milk are the best drinks for your children. The juice is also recommended when it is 100% natural.
7. Diversify your children’s menu. Who says that children only want to eat pizza, hot dog or burgers? When you go out to eat let your children try more types of food and you will be surprised by their wish to experiment.
8. Put the sweets at their place. Sweets are good occasionally but do not transform it into the main way of rewarding you children. Remember that food is not the right way of showing them how much you love them. Thus, one simple “I love you” is as good as a food reward and in this way they will not grow up to find comfort for their problems in food.
9. Start while they are young and offer them a variety of food.
10. Limit their time in front of the TV or computer. When they watch T.V. do not allow them to eat and when they eat do not let them do something else as well. Scientist have shown that those children who do not eat in front of the TV have less changes of gaining too much weight.